Skip to content

Report of the Gulf War Veterans Illnesses Task Force - 2011 (CLOSED)

The 2011 Report of the Gulf War Veterans Illnesses Task Force 30 day public comment period closed November 22nd, 2011. VA released the final report outlining how the department will address the concerns of Veterans deployed during the Gulf War of 1990-1991 on March 27th, 2012. The report focuses on efforts to improve the delivery of health care for Gulf War Veterans, including the launch of a prototype clinical care model specifically for Gulf War Veterans.

The report is available a: http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/2011_GWVI-TF_Report.pdf

For additional information on Gulf War related health issues, please visit the VA Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses website at:
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/index.asp

57 results found

1. I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY BODY WHY WON'T THE VA DOCTOR'S LISTEN????

I am a Gulf War Vet. that became sick in Iraq. During the Oil Fires, I started coughing up Black crap. I was told not to worry about it. My coughing got worse when I got back to the States. I told the Army Doctors that it was do to the Oil Fires but they didn't believe me. I ended up getting a Medical Discharge, because of it. Now I have a mass between my lungs. GO FIGURE.. Also.. I have been having problems with my hips for the last 8 to 10 years.. The VA Dr.s have told me…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Homeopathic Treatment must be Accessable for GWI

For 20 long mostly miserable and nerve racking years, I was told that all of my aches and pains and suffering was because I had PTSD from Desert Storm. My journey was filled with nightmares and actual pain physical. Every muscle and tendon in my body was on fire from the inside. I have been depressed beyond my wildest dreams or nightmares I should say. I have been extremely on edge. Ready to pounce on anyone , not nice at all. I went from job to job, relationship to relationship with extreme anger. I have brain damage from Desert Storm…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Typical VA.

Typical of VA. Create a task force 20 years later, put Gulf War Illness in the title, then claim to be doing something about it. Here's a suggestion for your task force: try finding any VA doctor that uses the term, "Gulf War Illness". Here's another suggestion, FOLLOW THE LAW! rather than wasting so much effort at trying to get around the law and screwing a veteran. The GWV's Undiagnosed illness law was passed a very long time ago (1997 or 1998), after YEARS of veterans being told by doctors that they could not figure out what was wrong, and…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  26 comments  ·  Admin →
  4. Ongoing Scientific Review and Surveillance: Taking Advantage of Untapped Sources of Data Related to Veterans’ Health

Ongoing scientific review is critical to understanding the environment that impacts health. There are Veterans’ health-related data available from sources other than studies conducted by VA. Having access to and understanding these data sources is important in comprehending the complex array of adverse health effects associated with deployment. VA has developed and maintained active participation in ongoing longitudinal reviews and surveillance projects including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Center for Health Statistics’ National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the Department of Defense Millennium Cohort Study, and the VA National Study for a New Generation of U.S. Veterans. These…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Admin →
  5. Clinical Care: Leveraging Veteran-Centric Specialty Services in Primary Care

One of the most substantial additions to the framework is the Clinical Care line of effort. Clinical health care for Gulf War Veterans is one of the most critical services VA can provide. This line of action is directly supported by Clinical Education and Training to ensure VA providers are well prepared to care for this population. Clinical care also benefits from research and development and Ongoing Scientific Review and Surveillance which inform and direct the best in evidence-based healthcare. The GWVI-TF has developed a prototype for a networked Gulf War Clinic which will be implemented at the Salt Lake…

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  12 comments  ·  Admin →
  6. Research and Development: Encouraging Targeted Efforts

Through the Office of Research & Development (ORD), VA funds research that will further the goal of improving the health and lives of Veterans who have GWVI, the complex of chronic symptoms that affect Veterans of the 1990-1991 Gulf War. To improve specific management of the GWVI portfolio of research, ORD actively pursued staffing additions to support these efforts. ORD continued to support and advertise requests for proposals for GWVI research and collaborate with VA, DOD, and other research activities through professional collaboration events and forums. Additionally, with support from the Gulf War Research Steering Committee and input from the…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  7 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. Wow. 20 Years later and we are FINALLY coming together on these issues? Sh*t We Gulf War Vets pioneered PTSD.

At that time (1991) we were the 3% DEFENDING the other 97%!
    After I saw several Roads of Death and how they treated Kuwaiti civilians and whole families when they invaded I was glad to do my part by continuing to kick their asses (Iraq). Now my cost to the tax payers was to become a non homeless Veteran with a job and that's a problem?
    WTF, over?
    I have ALL of the above i.e. Memory and concentration issues, rashes/acne, IBS, coughing every morning even though I do not smoke, arthritis in my neck and hips, trouble sleeping each night,…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. A Toxic Waste Dump

When you take into consideration CIA's report entitled Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction dated Oct 2002 and the Army's report entitled Chemical and Biological Defense U.S. Forces Are Not Adequately Equipped to Detect All Threats dated January 1993, used in conjunction with a phenomenom only found in the Middle East and that is atmospheric ducting it all comes together.

Fox vehicles alarming constantly, senior echelon announcing they were false alarms. Then recognize the DOD was quick to provide field changes to increase their capability. Pvt Fisher coming into contact with Mustard Gas and CDR Dunn processing the sample in Iraq…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Body rash, anxiety, nervousness on close proximity of razzor sound, sleep insomnia and total distrust, always alert to my sorrounding.

I received 6 Anthrax shots in a period of 12 months. Deployed to the Middle East. 4 times. I took care of all of the Medical treatment for biological agents, such as nerve, mustard, ect. I am currently suffering of severe rash on an ongoing basis. Rashes shows like whipslash all over my body. Lumbs up about 2cm and 3 cm in width and in lenthg could ba as long as one foot. It burns, itches, turns red and suddenly I begin sweating profusely. This is days in and days out. I also get chronic pain all in my body,…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Seizure disorder should be presumptive

I believe that seizure disorder or epilepsy should be made presumptive for gulf war illness. ALOT of gulf war vets have this and the VA blows it off as epilepsy and throws it out. If you check gulf war illness blogs, there are alot of vets complaining of seizures and what is the first symptom of sarin gas poisoning "SEIZURES".

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The VA Talks the Talk, but doesn't Walk the Walk and their TALK IS CHEAP!!!!!!

As far as this VA report and many others, Talk is cheap! The VA reports look great, but the sad reality is I and many of us have been suffering while the VA and Regional offices "status" has been to lie, lie, deny, deny, cutt up records, deny, deny, stall, stall, stall, stall and then reject claims. In the 90's we were treated like 2nd class citizens they canceled appointments and wouldn't help me (at least in my case and my personal feelings). I've brought GWVI up many times to the VA in the past and it's like saying the…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. VA

THE VA DOESN'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THE GULF WAR VETERAN!
    I am a Gulf War Veteran just like the rest of you. We cannot get care for our illness because no one in the VA will document it. I've been struggling with symptoms for 20 years now and I haven't found one doctor in the VA who will listen. No one even tells you that your illness may be related to GWI!! I have chronic asthma (hospitalized 6 times in 7 years), I also have Avascular Necrosis which is deteriation of the bones in my body from receiving too many steroids…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. Group of docters sit down with patient instead of pt seeking individual drs throught a yr

Need a group of drs one overseening, three examing. Then set treatment plan. This way all drs are in sync . Pt does not have go throught 4 visitis a month , being pushed to next dr. The blame game stops and treatment plan starts. Ortho sends to rehumatology,they send to neuro, they send to primary, primary sends topain clinic.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. toxicity of Patriot and MLRS propellants

Where is the research into propellants used for patriot and MLRS weapons systems, and the affects on surrounding military personnel, especially those troops doing physical security around these batteries or conducting missions around missile volleys air and ground war.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →
  15. Stop screwing us!

I've been sick and hurting for 20+ years now. I've filed a few times and would just get mad and stop fighting (as the VA wants us to do). This time, I will not stop until I receive what I've earned. Why can't the VA have certain people assigned to certain Veterans? You say you want to streamline the process? That way the VA person is responcible for the Veterans folder of records, disability etc. Now you call in 50 times and get 50 different people giving you 50 different stories. I've been jacked around so much that I should…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Here is my problem with it.After 20+ years of struggling with ptsd I was finally diagnosed an recieved a rating but only at 30%. now what a

After 20+ years I was diagnosed with ptsd but only recieved a 30% rating. what about the past 20 years of hell loosing jobs and destroyed relationships ect. ect. I also have been trying to explain to my doctor that not all of my problem with the cronic fatigue i experience is not due to my weight .I was experiencing it long before i got big. Which th weight is a product of the depression I fight every day. They make you feel like you are trying to get a free ride or something. I have never taken govt. assist.…

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. How about the(PB) pre-nerve agent pills?

Did these make anyone sick?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. This report has a list of injuries and illness for GWV but they don't tell you how to put in a claim to for these issues.

I have tried numerous times to file a claim and been denied. Now maybe if they tell vets how to put in for GWI claim that might be better. All of the pain that I am having it is hard to keep going. But what can one do?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and multiple sclerosis

This report stated that the "ORD is committed to funding research that improves VA’s understanding and ability to treat illnesses, such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and Multiple Sclerosis (MS), which may occur at higher prevalence in Gulf War Veterans". I would like to focus, in particular, on the diagnosis of ALS at much higher rates than other veteran population groups in general. As a registered nurse at a private hospital I personally witnessed the terminal wean of a Gulf veteran with ALS. As a VA employee, I witnessed the effects of this diagnosis, and subsequent death, on a fellow…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The Department of Veterans Affairs needs to update its software that is used for when veterans check-in for their appointments.

The Department of Veterans Affairs needs to update its software that is used for when veterans check-in for their appointments. This is so that when a veteran that has more than one illness or symptom can have it entered into his computer file for the doctor to see it. At present the nurse will only take one. This does not work for a veteran with undiagnosed illness or a TBI as there are many different symptoms that the veteran may need to report he is suffering from at the same time. As many of these symptoms such as headaches, pains…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Report of the Gulf War Veterans Illnesses Task Force - 2011 (CLOSED)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base